Monday, May 28, 2007

So THAT'S how you hit that neat pitch!

Found this article on golf.com, (text below) and it lays how to hit those zippy one-skip-and-bite pitches. The more I play, the more a I realize that I need to perfect this shot--you can't always count on dropping a 35% lob shot down near the pin; plus, it's just so damn cool.

The one-hop-and-stop pitch

How to play the stop-it-on-a-dime shot that's cooler than Fonzie.


Published: January 01, 2006

If you want to be cooler than the other side of the pillow, you gotta have the one-hop-and-stop shot. You've seen the pros do it: From about 25 yards out, they pick the ball off the turf so it bounces once on the green and then puts on the brakes right by the hole. It's cool and it leaves an easy tap-in.

• You'll need a clean lie in the fairway and your sand wedge.

• Play the ball one inch back of center in your stance with your clubface square to the target. Your hands should be slightly in front of the ball [left].

• Apply a little extra grip pressure with the last three fingers of your left hand. This will come in handy in just a moment.

• Keep your weight centered throughout your swing. Take the club back to waist height and then accelerate down through the ball.

• Kick your right knee toward the target as you reach impact. This will get you moving onto your left foot and ensure ball-first contact.

• Don't release the club. Instead, maintain that little extra grip pressure and you'll keep the club pointing at the target.

• Follow through to knee height, and rotate your body and hands around to your left.

Brian Crowell is head golf professional at Leewood Golf Club in Eastchester, N.Y.

Wounded Duck update 6/10/07: Have tried this shot several times and have yet to get the desired effect. Easy to pull left and look like a dufus. I think I got to spin once, but ball spun down a knob further from hole, need tv cameras to cover me as I play for better post-round analysis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wounded Duck,
My daughter just showed me your site...she found it after googling my name. As the author of the "One Hop & Stop" pitching article, I am very proud that you chose to review my work! I do wish you had better personal results... I was hoping that my method would prove to be "dufus-proof", but I guess I still have work to do! Anyway, keep practicing, and keep up the great work with your blog...I will continue to check in.
Happy New Year!
Brian Crowell, PGA